- Spend a semester abroad in Akureyri on the northeast coast of Iceland. You'll be studying in Iceland's second-largest urban area surrounded by mountains and fjords.
- Enjoy life outside of class with a variety of cultural activities, local field trips, and excursions.
- Experience Icelandic culture through your daily life in and around Akureyri and the rest of the country.
- Take courses to fulfill your core curriculum or major requirements with courses in the humanities, marine sciences, economics, and international relations, taught in English.
Discover Akureyri, Iceland
Located in the North-Atlantic ocean, the stunning island nation of Iceland is the world’s most peaceful nation, a fact visible in the country’s unique Nordic culture, rugged landscapes, and strong sense of tradition. Akureyri, nicknamed “The Green Town”, is located in northeast Iceland and is the nation’s second-largest urban area. It is surrounded by mountains at the head of Iceland’s longest fjord, Eyjafjörður.
Akureyri is the site of a robust cultural scene, a beautiful waterfront downtown area, and a welcoming community. As an exchange student at the University of Akureyri, you will live and take classes in a variety of subjects at the university while experiencing all that the unique country of Iceland has to offer.
Living in Iceland
永利皇宫463cc will work with the University of Akureyri to determine suitable housing options. The exact type and location of housing is based on availability each semester and is typically a shared student apartment or guesthouse with whom the University of Akureyri collaborates.
You'll begin your study abroad experience before even leaving home by participating in information sessions and a Pre-Departure Orientation with the Global Education Program staff. The orientation allows you to connect with others in the group, reflect on what you want to get out of the program and learn what others in the group would like to accomplish.
The 永利皇宫463cc Iceland program in Akureyri offers a curriculum that meets the needs of a broad range of undergraduate majors. Courses in the humanities, marine sciences, economics, and international relations allow you to take the courses you need, taught in English, while experiencing life in a different culture.
- Support from on-site staff at the University of Akureyri
- On-campus extracurricular activities, gym, and workshops
- Cultural activities
- Pre-departure and on-site orientation program
- Travel medical insurance
Students spend 16-18 weeks in Akureyri. Fall semester students arrive in Iceland in late August and return home in mid-December. Spring semester students arrive in Iceland at the beginning of January and return home in mid-May.
Students are required to have a 2.5 minimum GPA. No Icelandic language experience is necessary, and all majors are welcome. Students should bring their own laptops.
A $500 scholarship is automatically applied to the semester tuition bill. Outside scholarships may be available; visit the scholarship opportunities listing or contact the Global Education team for more details.